Q. How are verbs used most effectively?
Verbs are vigorous, direct communicators. Use the active rather than the passive voice, and select tense or mood carefully.
- Preferred: We conducted the survey in a controlled setting.
- Nonpreferred: The survey was conducted in a controlled setting.
- Preferred: Simpson (2001) designed the experiment.
- Nonpreferred: The experiment was designed by Simpson (2001).
- Preferred: Participants sat in comfortable chairs equipped with speakers that delivered the tone stimuli.
- Nonpreferred: The participants were seated in comfortable chairs equipped with speakers that delivered the tone stimuli.
(adapted from the sixth edition of the APA Publication Manual, © 2010)
Was this helpful? 3 0
- Very helpful. Thank you